Holy Mother of Science**, Mastitis is a Pain in the Boob!
I’m not sure why I used caps in that sentence, as if it were a book title. Anyways, yesterday I came down with a terrible case of Mastitis. I mean, I could have handled it if it were really just a case of having a sore, infected boob. But the “Flu-like” symptoms that accompany it? Get out of town, they were ridiculously awful. I was writhing, moaning, and crying my way through the prior night when the fever and chills and aching hit. I was so weak and dizzy and sore the next morning that a life-saver of a friend watched Kaia all day long.
I am ever grateful that Indi is an easy, mellow baby or I would not have been able to take care of her either. She gladly obliged me in frequent naps and in being held in arms while I blankly started into the void of my living room and sank my heavy flesh and bones into the sofa.
I trudged my sweaty body to the naturopath yesterday afternoon and got me some probiotics and a homeopathic remedy (Phytolacca decandra). I was wanting to avoid antibiotics, but was only going to give the homeopathic remedy 24 hours (I’m traveling out of town next week with the girls – sans Jason – and certainly didn’t want to be dealing with Mastitis then). I ramped up on vitamin C, Echinacea rest, fluids, and nursing, nursing, nursing.
The good news? As of this morning, I’m 100% better. No flu symptoms (aka “run over by a school bus” feeling), no sore boobs, no problemo. Guess that stuff worked!
Anyways, in the meantime I have nothing of substance to post about, so here’s a quick list I put together last week called:
Things I’m Putting Off…Mostly out of Pure, Decadent, American Laziness.
- Thinking about any form of birth control
- Purging and organizing my pantry
- Doing laundry (I’m in a constant state of putting this off)
- Cloth diapering (I’ve put this off until I finish catching up on laundry. As you can see from above, this presents a problem).
- Focusing on potty training with Kaia (she’s showing so many signs that she’s ready)
- Getting my oil changed (DONE!)
- Weaning Kaia from binkys
- Indulging in a haircut and brow waxing (DONE!)
- Encouraging Kaia to establish a tooth brushing routine
- The thought of growing old(er).*
- Scheduling a dental appointment for myself
- Calling our landlord about our apparent high water usage (a guy from the water company was actually sent out here a week ago because of the high water usage. He said there seems to be a leak somewhere…)
- Picking up the dog poop in our backyard
- Buying any new clothes (because I cannot fit into most of my clothes. Even my “big mama” clothes. Sigh. This is for another post…)
- A simple, easy, short daily yoga practice
- Eating really balanced meals
- Being anxious over Indi transitioning to “sleeping on her own”.*
*These may actually be the only productive things I’m putting off.
**Line stolen from the Curious George movie, which I’m in love with for 2 reasons: The folksy Jack Johnson soundtrack and the fact that CG is so heard-expanding, melt-me, adorable that I cannot.even.stand.it. I think CG resembles my babies when they are tiny and it makes me insanely happy and nostalgic.
P.S. I’m also indulging in a recent love affair with comedian Dane Cook. Jason is OK with this.